Garlic is a common staple in the pantry as it is often used to lend flavour to various dishes. But did you know that garlic actually has plenty of health benefits to offer? Here are 10 of its best benefits that will make you glad that you are using it at home.
- Highly Nutritious, Low on Calories. An ounce of garlic contains manganese, vitamin C, fiber, vitamin B6, Selenium, potassium, calcium, iron, copper, and phosphorus just to name a few. All these nutrients are essential to the body so you can already imagine how much vitamins and minerals you are getting with just an ounce of it.
- Improves your heart’s health. Garlic is known to be good for your cardiovascular system as it helps improve the blood flowing in your body while at the same time, reduce your cholesterol levels. It also prevents the hardening of the arteries which prevents stroke and heart attacks.
- Lowers pain caused by arthritis. Those who are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis will find garlic to be beneficial to them because of the anti-inflammatory and antioxidants present. The anti-inflammatories can help prevent flare ups.
- Prevents common sickness. If you are frequently suffering from common ailments such as colds and cough, adding garlic to your daily diet is highly recommended because it can help boost your immune system. You can either go with fresh garlic or garlic supplements to help combat these common issues to your health.
- Combats fungal infections. Another health benefit that you can gain from garlic is its ability to fight fungal infections like yeast infection, ringworms, jock itch, and athlete’s foot. You can apply it as gel or oil onto the affected area to help fight off existing bacteria.
- Promotes better cholesterol levels. Eating garlic can actually help reduce your LDL as well as total cholesterol levels. Those who are diagnosed with high cholesterol levels can take garlic supplements to bring their cholesterol down. However, the triglycerides don’t seem to be affected by garlic consumption.
- Detoxification of heavy metals. Our body is constantly bombarded with toxins and heavy metals that can affect our overall health. This is why you need to detoxify from time to time to help your organs function better. Garlic is a good choice because it contains sulfur compounds that can provide protection to your organs against damage caused by heavy metals.